Saturday, September 12, 2009

My big brother Mike will be soooo jealous


The weather is beautiful this morning and a chunk of us are now really excited about the outdoor concert this evening. I can't believe I'm going to see Neil Young. It's crazy. I know Sarah McLachlan and Sheryl Crow are cool and nice, but I've been holding my breath for Neil.



I remember when I was about 20 years old and dating an adorable fellow ten years my senior. He had a million vinyl records in crates that took up his living room walls. He really introduced me to Neil Young. It was his admiration of Young that intrigued me and I was able to understand the fascination.

The album Harvest was the backdrop to a summer all those years ago - backyard parties with patio lanterns, eating fresh caught crab and drinking margaritas. I loved "Alabama" and "Damage Done" - Young's storytelling songwriting is fierce.

So why the big deal? Well, if you're a music lover and your tastes exceed JR Country or Virgin Radio, then you hear Neil Young and you just get that he's an amazing talent and a rock institution. It's raw 1970's.


Shot by famed musician photographer Tom Sheehan

Tonight, fingers crossed and breath held, when Neil takes the stage, and begins Hey Hey, My My (Into the Black), I will be beside myself.

No comments: