Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Mono and Flying Solo



On Monday I went to the doctor due to some symptoms that were hard to ignore. Then later that night, it was confirmed that I at the age of 42, I have Mononucleosis. I've researched the crap out of this unfortunate condition and below is my best edit of the virus, but I would like to make it positively clear that I'm not (a) covered in a strange hive-like rash; (b) have no strange throat crap in my mouth whatsoever; (c) my jawline has returned significantly; and (d) have not been smooching with anyone but my cat Bugs Buddy.

I do however, have dizzy spells, sore throat and completely no energy and no appetite (I've been waiting for this day my entire adult life), and I've got a "sickish" feeling throughout the day and night that is alleviated by super strength (like I buy anything else) Tylenol.

About the worst I can say about this is being away from the office and the fact that people aren't being near me. So the name MONO is pretty bang on. Your on your own sista!

Definition Particulars: Infectious mononucleosis or simply mono: A mildly contagious disease caused by the Epstein-Barr virus (EBV). Mononucleosis is also known as grandular fever or kissing disease. This viral infection is commonly found in children and young adults. The symptoms of mononucleosis include fever, sore throat, weakness, malaise, swollen lymph nodes, etc. It is not a serious condition. However, it can continue for days and weeks together.

How Do You Get Mononucleosis?

Mononucleosis can spread from one person to another through exchange of saliva and mucus from throat or nose. As the disease is also known as the kissing disease, there is a widespread misconception that it is caused only due to kissing. That statement is definitely correct that mononucleosis is spread by kissing and through direct person-to-person contact.

While deep kissing there is an exchange of saliva, then there is a highest possibility of transmission of this disease. Kissing is one of the major reasons for the spread of mono in youth. However, kissing is not the only reason for the spread of this disease among people.

Besides kissing, Mono is also spread by coughing, sneezing, sharing of personal items like towels, toothbrush, etc. On the other hand, using the same utensils as that of the person suffering from it or sharing the same food, eating from same plate, etc. also causes spreading of the disease from one person to the other. Secondly, touching the nose or mouth and then shaking hands with other person also leads to transmission of mono.

One of the most important things to note is that not all people who kiss suffer from mononucleosis. Therefore, if a person has mono, it is improper to conclude that he has been a reckless kisser. There are several different answers to how you get mononucleosis. Also, the person suffering from mono should try and avoid contact with other people, especially children. Mono is contagious, as long as the symptoms are observed in people.

The bad extreme: Mono can remain contagious for a couple of days or weeks. In case of chronic mononucleosis, the symptoms can last for more than 6 months. It is simply advisable not to share personal items with anyone.

No comments: