Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Your left prefrontal cortex is a little saggy

I caught Dr George Pratt last night on Coast to Coast AM. His topic and expanding on gratitude I found interesting, but I guess I was remembering something I already understood. 

"Think about what you are most grateful for in life. This helps your brain, your mood, your interpersonal skills and your motivation. In my new book, Code to Joy, we talk about the newest exciting neuroscience and what creates joy, and methods to accomplish that. 
Every day, perhaps in the shower or when you are doing some routine activity, think about what you are most grateful for in life. Even in this tough economy when many people are struggling, feeling grateful about something as ordinary as the warm water washing over you, or the sun shining outside, can have a positive effect. As you do this more often, you will find yourself adding more and more things to your list. When you regularly practice being grateful, you begin to strengthen the left prefrontal cortex, the part of the brain associated with happiness. This, in turn, helps you feel more empowered to reach your goals and create the life you want."

No comments: