Friday, September 19, 2008

"The Upperhand On Being On The Outside Of Things"

Not surprisingly, I am yet again inspired by blogger extraordinaire, FAKEHANDBAGS. Today's post entitled Spooky, was particularly touching, witting, clever and ingenuous. Ash should write for The Times herself, but today she mentions the article authored by Cintra Wilson, "You Just Can't Kill It", and although I found this New York Times article an interesting read, I still preferred the honesty of FAKEHANDBAGS' commentary review of it. I laugh, I relate. I love that she posts the YouTube video "Cities In Dust" by Siouxsie and the Banshees (strangely sounding at the intro like a song by Big Country around the same time). I tell you, read FAKEHANDBAGS.

A highlight of the Times article's quintessential comprehension of what it means to be Goth --

"the goth subculture, however, for those who live it, is more than the sum of its chicken bones, vampire clichés and existential pants. It remains a visual shortcut through which young persons of a certain damp emotional climate can broadcast to the other members of their tribe who they are. Goth is a look that simultaneously expresses and cures its own sense of alienation."

Wow - "damp emotional climate" !!! Damn I wish I wrote that!

But what if you weren’t even cool/uncool enough to be Goth? Maybe you were a wannabe? To this day I admire people who image themselves like this – giving them a wink as I pass them on the street (in the street of course, unless I count the Depeche Mode concert venue a few years ago - where Goths and Mods and Geeks collided). I didn't have the self esteem for Docs but I still want to put on a pair of 14 hole lace ups and wear em into the office on a casual Friday. It's just not enough for me to get my point across by playing Morrissey at my desk.

All I can leave you with is my local Vancouver Goth Icon, Thee Goth:

No comments: