Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Daytime Funk

Today I have to admit is the first day (despite its historic significance) I've felt "a little lost". I wouldn't go as far as Hartwick to label it a Category 5, but I would say that it did cross my mind to batten down the hatches. I know myself well enough to know that I need the balance of structure and creative autonomy. It's not even two weeks since I left ParkLame, however, I'm the type of person that doesn't fair well under stagnant situations. Who doesn't? All was redeemed late this afternoon luckily, when Bravo aired Montreal based Stars on Live at the Rehearsal Hall. So if you're unaware of this little marvel of a band, I strongly suggest you check them out. Smarty-pants me has been a fan for five years.



And just now, as the televised performance from the Stars ends, Bravo is airing "Ferron: A Girl On The Road". Fantastic. The excerpt from Bravo outlines "A beautiful portrait of Canadian folk singer Ferron, known for influencing Jane Siberry, The Indigo Girls and Ani DiFranco. This one hour film captures Ferron’s salt of earth folk stylings and features a live performance in Vancouver as she re-unites with her old band mates after 10 years."

If you're unfamiliar with Ferron and you have a penchant for Canadian Folk, well, get channel 40 right now!

For Ferron, "artistic expression is not only essential, it's revolutionary." From 1980, Misty Mountain, still stands sturdy as a gracious example of her lyricism.

Ferron Myspace Site
Ferron Wiki

1 comment:

Dan Johnson said...

I'll be here in the bar with my head on the bar...